The 2020s will be a pivotal decade for nature. Let’s make safeguarding whales, creating marine protection networks, rebuilding fish populations, phasing out open net-pen fish farms and protecting marine species at risk top priorities for the next federal budget.
The David Suzuki Foundation is one of 22 environmental organizations in the Green Budget Coalition, which develops recommendations for the federal budget. Charting a course to healthy oceans requires a solid plan, which is why GBC’s 2020 budget for nature includes funding for:
- Marine planning, including co-governance, marine protected area networks, national marine conservation areas and conservation economy development.
- Increasing fisheries stock assessment and monitoring capacity and ensuring data transparency.
- Enhancing capacity to meet Species at Risk Act requirements to recover abundance of endangered and threatened aquatic species throughout Canada’s coastal waters, particularly salmon and whales.
- Creating a responsible aquaculture sector through research, monitoring, enforcement and incentives for alternative production methods.
- Implementing regulations that finalize revisions to the Oceans Act and Fisheries Act.
Tell Fisheries and Oceans Canada, the prime minister and your MP it’s time for Canada to make significant investments in nature, instead of subsidizing the fossil fuel industry.
Hope for healthy oceans
There’s much to celebrate today, World Oceans Day.
- Ocean research is playing an important role in the fight against COVID-19. Microbes found in the deep ocean help speed up virus testing.
- David Suzuki will receive the North Medal for his lifetime service to ocean health at the 25th annual Ocean Awards. Join the virtual event today at 3 p.m. PDT (6 p.m. EDT). David is the featured speaker. He and seven others will be honoured for contributions to ocean science, conservation and literacy.
- Check out researchers exploring colourful creatures in the deep ocean canyons off Nova Scotia in the gorgeous 10-minute film Discovering the Deep.
There’s still much more to do.
With the Green Budget Coalition, we’ve put together federal budget suggestions to support marine health and biodiversity.
Join thousands of other ocean advocates. Send your letter to Fisheries and Oceans Minister Bernadette Jordan now.
Thank you for caring about oceans,
Senior Public Engagement Specialist
The David Suzuki Foundation
P.S. Canada can spend wisely to protect oceans and safeguard endangered species. Please use your voice for oceans today.